A Heliophysics Events Knowledgebase to facilitate scientific discovery
List of Supported Feature/Event types and associated attributesThe full list of Event/Feature types and associated attributes can be found here.
Web APIWeb developers who wish to create third-party web applications interacting with the Heliophysics Events Registry should consult the HER Web API wiki, which provides examples on how to query HER, how to submit events to HER as well as other functions.
Sunpy APISunpy has a HEK module for using HEK's web API.
SolarSoft IDLWe are developing a number of software packages to help researchers use and contribute to the HEK project:
- Ontology package: SolarSoft API for reporting events and features to the Heliophysics Events Registry (HER), as well as for querying HER.
- Panorama: an OpenGL based browser for viewing solar data
- Annotator: a Java tool for the creation of VOEvent XML files suitable for reporting features and events to HER.
For researchers interested in running their feature detection algorithms to produces entries which will be imported into the Heliophysics Events Registry (HER), we are providing the Ontology package, a collection of routines to be used within the Solarsoft environment. The Ontology package is treated like any other SolarSoft package. To add the Ontology package to an existing installation of SolarSoft, do To add the ontology package into your Solarsoft installation, append the keyword ontology to your definition of the SSW_INSTR environment variable. Start up Solarsoft first:
- IDL> ssw_upgrade,/ontology,/spawn,/loud
To access the library of routines, append 'ontology' to your SSW instrument list $SSW_INSTR (as per instructions here).
UsageAfter installation, start sswidl. To see a list of supported feature/event types, enter the command:
- IDL> event=struct4event(/list)
Feature Feature Code ----------------------- ----------------- ActiveRegion AR BrightPoint BP CME CE CoronalDimming CD CoronoalHole CH CoronalWave CW Filament FI FilementEruption FE Flare FL Loop LP Oscillation OS Sunspot SS EmergingFlux EF
e.g. evstruct = struct4event('CH')
e.g. evstruct = struct4event('ActiveRegion')
Example of minimally defined 'flare' feature in IDL:
Once you have installed the ontology package, fire up Solarsoft:
- ; Create IDL structure for a Flare event
- event = struct4event('fl')
- ; Populate the structure with required values
- event.required.OBS_Observatory = 'TRACE'
- event.required.OBS_Instrument = 'TRACE'
- event.required.OBS_ChannelID = 'TRACE 171'
- event.required.OBS_MeanWavel = '171'
- event.required.OBS_WavelUnit = 'Angstroms'
- event.required.FRM_Name = 'Karel Schrijver'
- event.required.FRM_Identifier = 'Karel Schrijver'
- event.required.FRM_Institute ='LMSAL'
- event.required.FRM_HumanFlag = 'yes'
- event.required.FRM_ParamSet = 'n/a'
- event.required.FRM_DateRun = '2007/01/03 12:00:00'
- event.required.FRM_Contact = 'schryver at lmsal dot com'
- event.required.Event_StartTime = '2006/10/10 23:45:13'
- event.required.Event_PeakTime = '2006/10/10 23:47:54'; This attribute is specifically required for flare events.
- event.required.Event_EndTime = '2006/10/10 23:55:20'
- event.required.Event_CoordSys = 'UTC-HPC-TOPO' ;(see section 3.4.4 of this VO document)
- event.required.Event_CoordUnit = 'arcsec'
- event.required.Event_Coord1 = '-400'
- event.required.Event_Coord2 = '300'
- event.required.Event_C1Error = '4'
- event.required.Event_C2Error = '4'
- event.required.BoundBox_C1LL = '-440' ;Coordinates of lower-left
- event.required.BoundBox_C2LL = '260' ;corner of bounding box
- event.required.BoundBox_C1UR = '-360' ;Coordinates of upper-right
- event.required.BoundBox_C2UR = '340';corner of bounding box
- ;If you want, add a description
- event.description="My first flare"
- ;If you want, add up to ten references
- ;You must provide a name, link and type for each reference
- ;Must choose between "html", "image" and "movie" for reference_types.
- event.reference_names = "Publication"
- event.reference_links = "http://adswww.harvard.edu/"
- event.reference_types = "html"
- ;Now export the IDL structure to an XML file.
- export_event, event, /write, outfil="Flare_example.xml"
- IDL routines: ontology.tar.gz or ontology.zip
- IDL script for the above example.
- XML source code from example
Querying HER using SolarSoft
We are currently writing the full API documentation for the SolarSoft HEK API. For examples on how to use Ontology routines to search for VOEvents in HER, download this document.